GAASHRM Legislative Advocacy Center
Join GAASHRM in advocating on behalf of the HR community and earn recertication credit.
Engage on Overtime Regulations
The DOL is considering changes to the FLSA that will raise the minimum salary threshold for exempt status to $913 per week ($47,476 annually). In addition, DOL proposes publishing these annual increases to the minimum salary only 60 days before they become effective—providing employers and employees with little notice.
The dramatic increase in the proposed salary level will result in many professional employees being reclassified to non-exempt hourly employees, resulting in less workplace flexibility and forcing employees to closely track their hours.
While DOL did not offer a specific proposal to modify the duties tests, the department suggested it is considering making some changes. The dramatic increase to the salary level proposed by DOL coupled with almost any changes to the duties test will create many challenges for employers and employees.
Call to Action
SHRM has welcomed the introduction of the Protecting Workplace Advancement and Opportunity Act (S. 2707/H.R. 4773), introduced by Congressman John Kline (R-MN) and Congressman Tim Walberg (R-MI) and Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) and Senator Tim Scott (R-SC).
|Help make sure the HR voice is heard, urge your member of Congress to support S. 2707 and H.R. 4773,
the Protecting Workplace Advancement and Opportunity Act.
Specifically, this reasonable legislation would:
- require the DOL to perform an economic analysis of how changes to overtime regulations will impact nonprofits, small businesses, and employers in other industry sectors before issuing a new rule.
- prohibit automatic increases in any new rule.
- ensure that any proposed changes to the duties test receive proper scrutiny through the formal notice and comment process.
Be an advocacy leader for the profession by sending an email to your members of Congress about this important workplace legislation and ask that they cosponsor the legislation!
- Review SHRM's Position Statement and Talking Points
- Personalize this template with your own story
- Find your congressperson and send them an email (please cc: GAASHRM at email@example.com)
- Earn 1 SHRM PDC Recertifcation Credit!
Reach out to GAASHRM's Legislative Affairs Liaison Tivoli Vertrees with any questions.
Thank you for participating in this important initiative.